Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sydney's home from the Hospital!

We really appreciate the emails, prayers, and calls from you all concerned about our little girl. She is home and doing much better.

As many of you know, Sydney has been in the hospital for the last four days. On Saturday of last week she had 3 seizures in a 24 hour period. With the advice from our pediatrician and our trusted Dr. Mount, we decided to bring her to the Childrens Hospital in Atlanta. There in the ER she had two more seizures which really got the attention of the Doctors in which case they decided to transfer her to another hospital in the area with better Pediatric neurologists on site, and a better suited ICU facility. That was 5 seizures in a 36 hour period. So off we went in an ambulance to Emory and there Sydney received test after to test to find out what was wrong. They did find a kidney infection and they concluded that even though there were no high temperatures after her seizures, there were spiked temperatures within the next few days(due to the infection) leading them to suspect that they were febrile seizures. The concern with this is that she will continue to have these seizures whenever she has a fever and that they will lead to an increase of seizures in the future. (“Seizures lead to more seizures”, we were told again and again). The frustrating part is that we won’t know she is getting a fever until it is too late (since she has the seizures before the fever appears). So for now she is on anti seizure medicine which really makes her cranky and drowsy. We have been told that she will get used to the medicine and adjust, but for now she is a different baby, and it is heartbreaking to see.

Cameron and I are doing much better. It was really scary there for a while, but Cameron was strong which in turn helped me get through it. Just like with Dylan’s birth, during the times when Sydney was having her seizures, getting sedated for the MRI, getting her spinal puncture, and going through all of those terrible things, I couldn’t sit and watch but Cameron could. He was a rock for his daughter, and I was so proud of him. There were so many times where I was out bawling in the halls while he was in the room by her side. It was beautiful, and I am so lucky to be married to a man as good as him. He truly is amazing and I have been so blessed to have him in my life.

So, today we finally are home and our spirits are up now that we have taken a shower and changed our clothes! We also were finally were able to come home to Dylan who was staying with his grandma and grandpa these last few days. We really can’t thank them and Aunt Alison enough for all that they did for us during this whole trial. I love you guys.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Here is Dylan giving Syd a hug in the hospital, hopefully now he'll really start being nice to her. He was really concerned about her, and it was sweet, we didn't even ask him to hug her in this picture.


Erin said...

Wow, I don't know how I could handle it either, Brit. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You have a beautiful little family, btw. I love the blogosphere where I can catch up on friends lives.
Much love to you all!

g-ma-ma said...

She looks beautiful even in her hospital rag gown and steel cage. We love baby Sydney and we're so grateful that she is back home and improving.

Unique Gowns said...

Hi, would you please help me to spread the word about my new Angels ? I have found a need in our community and need mums to help other mums. Please visit my blog and help - Dana

coco said...

Thanks so much for posting this was so hard to see her in the hosiptal at her most sick time and then have to go off to the airport. I am so glad so is doing better. I pray for you all every night!!!!