Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day!

I awoke this morning to the sound of Cameron making a fruit puree to top off my favorite breakfast, fruit crepes. I love Mothers day, not just for the yummy food that gets cooked for me all day long, or the sweet hugs that I get from my sweet kids, but for the reminder that I am doing, (and somewhat succeeding at), the most important job on the planet. As a mom there are many days when I feel completely unappreciated, undervalued, and sadly, unimportant. I see Cameron going to work everyday to touch the lives of teenagers. I hear his stories of the progress he makes and of the hardships he overcomes, and I see the paycheck that he is rewarded with every two weeks. When I look at my life it often frustrates me as I feel that I am missing out of something bigger and better in this life, that I am failing at contributing to society. But then, I have days like today where I am reminded of the important work that I put into my children every single day. I stand back and see the progress that they have made in the last year, the last month, the last week, and I realize that in large part it IS because of me. I don't get to hear the validation from others because I am the only one around to see how much I put into it. I don't have a boss or coworkers who I have to report to throughout the day or who see me succeed, I don't get promotions for doing a good job, but, I DO get to stand back and see that my children are succeeding in life because of the lessons that I teach them everyday. I am so grateful that I have been given this sacred opportunity to have and raise children. I am so grateful to Cameron for trusting me with his babies, and for working so hard so that I can be with them all day, everyday.

I also want to say, that I am so grateful to all of the women in my life who have raised me, and who help in the mothering of my children. It takes a village to raise a child, and I am so grateful to the women in my village who help me mother everyday, you know who you are and you know I couldn't do it without you. There have been three specific women in my life who I want to take a moment to think about and thank for raising me and being such great influences in my life:

My mother Abigail Hodges Spransy West -She is in the hospital now battling another terrible exacerbation in her brain due to her Multiple Sclerosis. She has spent the last 10 years confined to a wheel chair battling the loss of her body functions, depression, pain, and the loss of her dignity. But, today she is more optimistic than I have ever seen her. Through it all she has become a woman that I don't even recognize. She is positive, soft spoken, humble, grateful, understanding, and so much more. She has grown in so many ways and taught me so many great lessons because of this disease. She constantly says to me "I have been given this disease for a purpose, and I know it has helped our family". How amazing is that? For the second time in two years, she is going to be riding in the MS race riding a bike with her hands...she is an inspiration to me, and to so many around her and I am so grateful for that example. I love you mom.

My Mother in Law Elaine Stoddart Mount-This is a woman that I have known since childhood. She is the mother of one of my closest friends growing up (Allan), and the mother of my amazing husband Cameron. She has always been an example to me. At a young age I remember walking into her home, smelling the cookies in the oven and feeling the spirit so strongly. She created a place of love and peace through her kindness, her service, and most importantly her open arms to anyone and everyone in need. Just last week I was telling Cameron, "your mom is ALWAYS there for me when I need her, and she probably doesn't even know it". She has helped me in so many ways I couldn't even begin to explain how, but I owe her so much for who I am today. She is a comforter, an example, a supporter, a listener, and a friend. I love her so much and I am so grateful to have her in my life.

My friend Fritz Pinney-This is a woman who knows what she wants, and knows what she is about. Fritz is the mother of someone that I was friends with and dated in high school between my sophomore and senior years. Its strange that someone who I had only known for a few years could make such a large impact on my life, but I suppose it is because I knew her during the most troublesome years of my life. This woman was a constant in my life. She was kind, steady, predictable, loving, generous, and just an overall example of who I always wanted to be. She made me feel important, and loved. I will never forget the first time that she told me she was proud of me, I went home and actually cried that night because at that particular time I had felt hopeless in life, and it were those three words that I needed to hear. Fritz was a stay at home mom who had raised talented, smart, respectful children. Her son once told me with tears in his eyes (in high school mind you), that "my mother is the most amazing person I know". I was always in awe of the love that her children felt for her. Fritz was also always doing something for the community whether it be putting up stop signs in dangerous intersections, heading up PTA events, being the class mom, or raising money to send to Africa, she always has helped out her community and the people she loved. She is an amazing example to me, and she is one that I credit greatly to my success as a wife and mother.

There are many other women out there who have been great examples in my life, but these are the three that mean the most to me, and whom I owe so much gratitude to. I love you!

Happy Mothers Day!

4 comments:

Katie said...

Awesome post Brit. Happy Mother's Day to a wonderful Mommy! I love you! :D

g-ma-ma said...

WOW -- thank you Britney for your kind words. You express yourself so well, and you have pretty amazing insights. I love your thoughts about motherhood and agree with them 100%. I enjoy so much watching you with your two little babies...you are a great mom and I know that Dylan & Sydney both feel very loved and very secure. What could be more important to them in their young lives? Thanks for making Cameron so happy, and for giving us two of our favorite grandchildren!!!!

Tracy said...

That was a great post. Your mom is amazing... I always loved your mom and of course your mother in law. Happy Mothers day to you too! I can tell that you are amazing mom yourself

Jim Mount said...

Your comments are so touching. I am very proud of you and so happy that you are a very big part of our family.

Love, Jim