Sunday, February 21, 2010

Precious Moments

Dylan runs in our room at 5 in the morning with a 103 degree fever. Most kids that are this hot are lethargic and cranky, but Dylan? Of course not! Its like when I gave him benedryl once to sleep on the plane and he was as hyper as ever, what gives? We both woke up with Dylan last night, gave him his medicine, and cuddled with him hoping to get some sleep, but or course, he was wide awake and ready for a new day. Not only was he awake, but he was funnier than ever! At one point Dylan turned to me, put my face in his hands, and looked at me very seriously saying, "Mommy, if you don't get me a drink right now, I am going to die". Dramatic much? He continued to talk for about 45 minutes, without taking a break. Cameron and I meanwhile are trying to sleep, laughing at his enthusiasm, but begging for him to stop talking and go to bed. It was hilarious! Here are some of the highlights:

1)"You have to take a picture right now of my ears and neck so that we can show it to the doctor in the morning. They are on fire mommy". (He repeated this about 6 times throughout the night.)

2)"I am coughing so much, I just can't stop coughing. It hurts and I think my breath is turning blue"

3) Cameron and I "Dylan stop talking, it is still night time and we need to sleep" Dylan: "But I am sick and I am berry berry hot. See, when I put this water on my leg it makes me not so berry hot...it makes my leg cold, see mommy, and when I put it on my face it makes my face cold, see mommy, etc...etc...etc...(he wouldn't stop talking about anything and everything)


He talked, and talked, and talked, and TALKED!


It was a funny night, and I just want to say how much I LOVE night time moments such as these. I love when the kids are sick and I get to cuddle with them, sing to them, and just be there with them in their off moments. Everything is so quiet, peaceful, and there is so much beauty in such a simple act of love and comfort. Of course I hate the not sleeping part, and the being tired in the morning, but there are so many precious moments that take place in the middle of the night. I love them!


Along with those precious moments, I too love the random rage, and comedy that takes place mid morning. As a kid, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and hearing my mom and dad talking and laughing in their room. Sometimes I would hear a loud "ow!" Or a "stop snoring!" or just random laughter that would last a few seconds. I always wondered why they would have conversations at night. Of course as an adult I am sure some of these times were when they were being intimate (ewww, not my parents!), but I have also come to learn that many of these instances were probably like most of the moments Cameron and I share. Those random wake up moments where you bump each other and have a casual three word banter that you both remember and laugh about in the morning. Or when one of you wakes the other up on accident and somehow a conversation is sparked about the what we are going to do or not do that weekend. I don't know what it is about the night, but it brings out the comedy, the random crap, and the foul language in us both. It is hilarious! (Since it is totally out of character). I relish in those moments where Cameron and I are dying about the gas that was just passed that woke us both up, or him telling me to "suck it" because he won't stop snoring, or even better, when the kids crawl into bed with us and we both get the other nearly kicked out of bed leaving the other one laughing hysterically. It's mean, its cranky and tired, and it is funny (most of the time). I love it. I love the random private family moments where it is raw, and just us. I LOVE my family!


1 comment:

Jacki said...

I totally agree and understand. Love it! Brooks and I will just lay in bed and chat. We can always tell when we are super tired because we are either laughing hysterically over nothing or arguing over nothing.