Wednesday, October 2, 2013

JD and DJ

Dylan has really struggled with the death of his Grandpa.  They were very close.  Its always hard to know how someone is struggling and grieving, but with kids it is 10 times harder!  Dylan's grades dropped dramatically (he started getting 20's on his spelling tests down from his average of 90's and 100's. He also started having massive behavior issues at school and was missing recess almost daily.  It was incredibly sad and hard to help him with.  Recently however he has been doing really well and getting his act back together.  He sees a therapist weekly and we take him to grandpas grave as often as we can.  He likes to go there and "feel close" to grandpa.  
Here are a few of Dylan's quotes from this last month.  He is so sweet:

These were from the first week or so after Jim's death:

"I want to get a gun and shoot grandpa so that he will wake up"

When down at the lake one early morning with grandma, Dylan said to her, "I want to take the lake to Grandpa", "I want to catch a fish and put it in this bucket and take it to Grandpa so he can see it at the hospital"

While saying a prayer tonight he prays for Grandpa to be "happy in heaven" and when he puts his hands in to say family he said, "I wanna put my other hand in for Grandpa so that we don't ever forget hes in our family"

"When I am at school, I just stop what I am doing and put my pencil down, because I just can't stop thinking about Grandpa".  "In PE I sometimes start running as fast as I can because I am so mad at the lady that hit grandpa, and all I can do is run and yell because I am just so mad"

These have been in the last few weeks:

At the grave sight the first time after the burial, Dylan layed down next to Grandpa and said, "I don't really ever want to leave here, I want to build a house underground so that I can just be close to Grandpa".  "I know he is just bones, but I want to be close to him".


When asked if he still thinks about Grandpa at school a lot, he said, "yes, I think of all the good things we used to do together."  Like what?  "Like when he took me fishing, and jumped in the lake with his hat all the time, took me tubing, and made stuff with me, and played basketball with me..."

"Mommy, in class my teacher said that nobody is perfect, but I think Grandpa was perfect".




Dylan was asked to write a poem about someone in his QUEST class:

James Dee Mount
Loveing, content, thrilled
Who loves his Grandkids, his kids, and Jesus
Who feels happy, nice, good
Who needs friends, Grandkids, wife
Who gives happiness, love
Who fears not being able to care for others
Who would like to see his kids and Grandkids

That says it all doesn't it?  He truly loved and admired his Grandpa Jim.


No comments: