Monday, November 22, 2010

Terrible Twos

The best and worst thing about Sydney weening of her medications is that now I have a two year old who acts like a two year old. Seriously, I think in the last 5 days Sydney has truly come into her body as a toddler. I had forgotten how difficult this stage was! Here is just a glimpse of what I am talking about (I honestly NEVER had problems with any of this until this week...the last 5 days to be exact!):

1.She is so destructive: Two plates (one decorative, one dinner), broken. Ceramic salt and pepper shakers, broken (the Beatles ones from G-mama. I tried to salvage them but the damage was too great :(). I turn around for literally 1 minute to grab the baby or get a diaper and bam...broken.

2. She disappears. At home this is great because she is playing by herself A LOT more. But, in stores her wandering eye leads to wandering feet and I have already lost her twice. Looks like I officially can't handle 3 in public.

3. She thinks she is done with naps. I knew this day would come, and I prayed it wouldn't be from the meds, but yes, taking away drowsy induced meds leads to a more alert child. I can't complain right? Right?

4. She has become a nurturer and is seeing outside herself. She is playing with her baby dolls a lot more which in turn compels her to play with her own baby sister more often. This is great until she thinks she can feed her sister her cereal and juice when I am not looking.
5. She has a new awareness for things and has to touch everything in stores. This along with her disappearing act do not make for a panic free trip to the store. Today I was at the cash register paying for an item and not 1 minute after getting my wallet out of my purse the employee turns to me and says, "mam, your daughter?" I turn to find her eating the head off a 5 dollar chocolate snowman that she has ripped the tin foil off of. Are you kidding me?

I was prepared for a lot of things when this weening process began, but not the terrible busy twos! I really forgot how hard it is when you really can't take your eye off a kid for even a second! Wow. I do love seeing these incredible changes in Syd, and I do have to admit I love how sudden they are occurring. It has only been a week since we lowed her dose again (she is at 1/2 of what she was a month ago).Wahoo! I guess though that it's time to re-adjust my mothering strategy. Ugh. (And right when I thought I was getting accustomed to it all.)

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Unfortunately I can identify with the terrible two phase right about now. I always say it's a good thing they're so darn cute because sometimes....ughh! So I'm all caught up on your posts now. I'm so glad things are going well for you and Sydney as you wean her off her meds. What a blessing for your family! Also, I love the picture of your "buddies". I immediately identified with that, as you can imagine, since our kids are the same age. Anytime I sit down I have little people crawling all over me! I wish we lived closer so I could see your darling kiddos!